Thursday, August 22, 2013

The Urban Antipathy

You wake up early in the morning, in that semi-sleepy state you switch on TV to know what’s happening around and you find something like this

“Woman in B’lore dead 5-months ago, found today”

When I saw that I just realized “oh my god, I am a human and living in this so-called civilized society”. Folks, where are we heading?



Even a dog barks out loud, if fellow dog in the other apartment barks for no reason. But a human does not give a damn even if there is explosion in the neighbourhood. Dogs are well advanced in terms of intra-urban life relations than humans. I always wonder how the word ‘humanity’ had its origin with the word ‘human’ in it, irony of English literature.

We are confining ourselves as we are advancing in technical, technological, economic, and cultural what not, every aspect of life. Kids confine to TV, Teens confine to gadgets and Adults confine to office desks. The highly esteemed provision of recent times ‘social media’ is also being led to criminal wastage. Unlike 90’s, where kids play in ground, teens banter under a tree shade and adults interact on the common walls.

I found an age old woman in the township I am living. She always proclaims that “My caste is superior; I only interact with people who belong to my caste”. Unfortunately, my family fulfilled her norms and she regularly interacts with my family members. I was aghast with such attitude. Paradox is her driver; maid, doctor and other people who make her living comfortable belong to various other sections of society. For which she counter attacks that “it is their destiny to do that and what they are getting paid for”

God save such people (as probability of getting external aid for such people is extremely low for obvious reasons)


If we do not realize this gaffe soon we shall end meeting our neighbours in hell/heaven (where we go after death) and disavow the fact that you actually shared a common urban space.

2 comments: