Saturday, June 15, 2013

University Transfer Before First Semester & SEVIS Transfer in the United States of America

One can transfer to another University in USA where FEW conditions do apply.
It is usually not recommended by international advisers to suggest one to do this in the first semester. Ideally, every university wants you to study first semester in their university and pay some tuition fee as one would come to USA with their visa.
Still, some of the conditions that are essential for transfer are :


  1. One should have a valid I20 of the university to which they are transferring
  2. One should be in USA with valid F1 Visa and I94
  3. One should have proper legal status
  4. The transferring university that one wish to go should accept his/her transfer
  5. The classes should not have started at the transferring university you wish to go
  6. One should not owe any fees to the university that he/she is transferring from
  7. The University should not have a policy to prohibit transfers during first semester
  8. HOD must approve your transfer at the university you are planning to transfer                           
SEVIS- Student and Exchange visitor program
It records all the info regarding legal status, schools, itinerary etc. The university that one is transferring from records the transfer in SEVIS and updates the status. The international adviser should appropriately release SEVIS record and authenticate your transfer. Flaws in this very particular thing may push one into trouble.

If NOT done properly one might end up in OUT of STATUS and can be on the verge of leaving the country due to status issues. 

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is that possible to change course as well in this process of transfer? Please advise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah v can do it, but ensure that the head of course which u want to shift to has no problem with it. so that your transfer will be approved with out a hurdle :)

      Delete
  3. I am transferring to USC and have my visa issued on UTDallas. Now my Port-of-Entry is Newark. Then will I be required to go to Dallas first or I can go to LA directly?
    I have old I-20 of USC while I ll be having new one after my transfer procedure will be over. So will I be questioned at LA?
    And at Newark what should I tell to immigration officer when I am asked about my school? USC or UTDallas?

    ReplyDelete