Saturday, June 15, 2013

An Unexpected Honesty

It was February 2013, India verses Australia second test match took place in Chennai. It was a weekend and I planned to go to the cricket match along my room mate. Although it was a tedious task to get tickets, we were desperate because it was none other than GOD of cricket Sachin Tendulkar on strike at 83 not out.

We woke up early by 3 AM and opted for auto to avoid delay in the plan. We got down near sub urban railway station and gave him a 50 rupee note expecting the auto driver not to ask more for an early morning drop.

"Sir I do not have change of 20 Rupees to pay you back" He declared.


I was stunned as memories flood. Autos in chennai are damn expensive, even if you have black money you shall reconsider your decision several times to afford it. People just "demand" like the landlord does for the rent if paid late. 
To defend my argument I had a situation to share, after getting down at Egmore station in Chennai. I got to reach Satyam Cinemas in no time as I was late for the show. I was prepared to give 60 Rupees as it was emergency. The auto driver demanded 150 INR( It actually costs 40 bucks) and I was startled to the core. I finally bargained it to 80 Rupees for which he dropped me quarter mile away from theater stating "one way" as reason. I could not argue as he seemed to be malevolent.
These situations are countless in course of 4 years where our wallets were emptied by the cruel, indescribable drunken auto drivers. 

As memories were drained I came back to sense and searched for sources to get change. I could not find any and offered him the 50 Rupee note. As we are prepared to give even 100 in such a desperate situation. This particular auto driver deserves that extra money.

"Sir please note down my auto number and cut this excess amount you gave me next time when you board my auto" He stammered in broken English and accelerated into the semi darkness of the early morning.

I did not have words to utter but only a memory to cherish of an unexpected honesty.

3 comments:

  1. You should have cursed that auto rickshaw driver in the name of God. It actually works particularly in Chennai.

    ReplyDelete