Saturday, May 26, 2012

150



It was April 25th when I reached Chennai to give my Semester exams which commenced on 30th April. Five days of recess and the most awaited movie AVENGERS was getting released on 27th of that month. I was planning a lot to watch it first day. I had two days’ time to prepare.

I started to Chennai with 500 Rupees in my pocket and a whooping amount of 15,000 Rupees in my debit card. The confidence of having such a huge amount made me spend 500 like a spend thrift. As soon as I entered my hostel I was hungry. I spent 100 bucks on my breakfast. On the next day I spent 200 Rupees for my lunch with my friend. I am such an idiot I forgot to return the library book which fetched me a fine of 50/-. On the other day, 26th April we planned to book the tickets for the most awaited movie. We booked the slot and I opened my wallet to find that I was driven into chaos. I did not find my debit card. I was left with 150 Rupees for the rest of 15 days I got to spend.




My friends forced, ordered and compelled me to come to the movie. I was in a state of total confusion; I couldn’t understand what was happening to me. My beloved senior Selva took a step forward and told that he would sponsor me. I mollified myself and smoothly rejected the offer. I was phlegmatic and suddenly remembered a line “Life is a B***h”. I decided to face it. I was fortunate to have 150 rupees in my pocket. I rejected money from mom, friends and well-wishers just to have the thrill of financial management. The only rule I set for myself was not to borrow from any one.

It all went this way. First 3 days my hostel mess came to the rescue. First time ever I ate breakfast, lunch, snacks and dinner in the mess. Although it was worse like before, I was able to figure out during which recess the so called food was good. But the first hurdle came in the form of phone call from the “American Consulate Library” reminding my overdue of the book. I thought ‘oh shit’ but couldn’t do anything except to return the book. The to-and-fro metro train cost me 20 Rupees and the share auto costs 20 Rupees more. But the consulate charged me fine of another 20 Rupees for late submission. My silly mistake added another loss of 10 bucks of not taking a water bottle. Total 70 Rupees omitted and left with 80 Rupees more.

It was thrilling experience to spend every single penne with high concentration and planning so that I will be in safe zone was an awesome experience.

Examinations time was the worse one without money in the pocket. One needs to keep his/her energy levels at the apex level to compensate the stress fluctuations. I owe a lot to my roomie Shasvath who lent me his Haldiram’s snacks during the ‘odd time hunger’ in the engineering hostel. Midnight hunger was the common situation that an undergraduate student faces in four years. My neighbor Sandeep sponsored me a midnight snack. One day I missed the dinner in my mess due to late return from my friend’s room. My best pal sumanth sponsored me the dinner in back gate. The value of sponsorship in engineering was revealed only when one gets completely broken down financially.
  
Even though the amount left was petty I never gave up drinking the awesome coffee in Amul which recharged me after my exam. It obviated the stress.  The days passed, I gave my exams. Irrespective of performance I was done with it. A few sponsorships, self-discipline and a few sacrifices accomplished the task of financial management in hard times.

The best part was I got 30 Rupees left on the 15th day. Although I got the ticket booked from my mother’s debit card to reach my home, Sumanth gave me 200 Rupees credit to manage with the journey.

Every day we spent huge amount of money on various unnecessary things but we do not realize how hard earned money it was by the parents. Being pedantic financially doesn’t mean I am miser but I was able to realize plight of common man in India. With ever ascending inflation in India one cannot even imagine comfortable living these days.

An article in Times of India inspired me to share this true story of mine with the readers. It articulated ‘How to survive a typical day with Rs.100 in Chennai?’ It was soothing to read as it discussed the chance of surviving in a metro with hundred rupees.
Moral of the story is:
1) Never lose your ATM card
2) Never try these experiments as they are not easy to manage with
3) Never spend lavishly, every Rupee you save today accidentally might help in future

2 comments:

  1. Nice sharing your Experience !!.. Now I got the reason why dint you take my offer.. Financial Management Indeed.. Go on, be the TREASURER :P..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good one ra Chintu.. Hope you manage your finances more efficiently from now on wards with this experience. Yes, it is very hard to earn money and easy to spend it. Spread the same to all your friends too..:)

    ReplyDelete